Thursday, December 28, 2006

and in further news...

Now I know who to blame for both my lack of height and my difficulty with weight! Dad is responsible for me being a runt and mom for me being tubby. Read all about it here

Which leads me to the obvious reason that I'm not a hot commodity on the dating market - I'm short!, which apparently deprives me of a serious advantage in the socio-evolutionary marketplace, check it out

For those who just want the Cliff's notes, the data is easily interpreted:

Dr Nettle's team analysed data from the study in the year 2000 when the men and women were aged 42.

He found the taller the men were, the less likely they were to be single or childless.
A man of 1.83m (6'0") was more likely to have children than an average man of 1.77m (5'10").
Women, though, were most likely to be married and have children if they were below the average height of 1.62 m (5'3").

The idea is that taller men are deemed more sexually attractive and are more likely to find a mate.

In contrast, men look for "fertility cues" other than height in the marriage stakes.
"We have come to think that men pay attention to physical characteristics of their mates, whilst women pay more attention to status and resources," says Dr Nettle. "In the case of height, this is clearly not true; in choosing a husband, size matters."

Not all are convinced however. Another scientist cites cultural favortism as the primary feature since the test was conducted in Britain.

On the other hand, it's clear that being short is bad for your paycheck, as is being hefty for a woman. Apparently being unattractive sucks for you too.

But never fear short fans, there is hope on the horizon!

Researcher Mr Harper said his findings confounded popular belief. "We found
looks were as important for men as for women."

He added: "The effects of appearance are generally widespread
suggesting they arise from prejudice and in particular, employer
discrimination."

"There is an urgent need for business and government to review their
equal opportunities policy to address this issue."


YES! Oh for the days when I will be cut a break for my height!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home