Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Movies in old black-and-white

I just love some of the old black and white movies. For a long time I couldn't figure out what it was about them... something is there besides cheesy plot lines and over-the-top acting. Finally I beleive that it makes sense: they present the world as its supposed to be. Somehow our hopes and dreams are intertwined with the early movies, before Hollywood felt that it had to start representing the more 'gritty' pseudo-reality of our world; messed up characters, deifficult decisions, broken people, addiction, sexual liscensiousness...

In black and white movies the sides are obvious, and conclusions conclude something. It's all so blasted clean. In fights you can win or die, but never any maiming. There is death and there is glory, there are beautiful virgin maidens and they're always waiting for the good guy in the end (no 2 divorces, the kid & accompanying relationship baggage). Everyone understands themselves and noone is going through medicated psychotherapy. Standards are both assumed and obvious.

Moreover, the world still contains uncharted lands, monster-infested waters, pirates of the seven seas, the market place in old Algiers and the pyramids along the Nile. Somewhere beyond the map lies Skull Island and the Lost Continent. Beyond us Mars stands ready to invade us with superior technology with only the Thunderchild rushing out to heroically challenge the tri-pod war machines.

And of course, beautiful one-liners are still rewarded with ooh's and ahh's. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" "We always have Paris." The women were definately women, but oh man the men were men. Who can't love Bogey with a cig in his mouth, plotting against the Nazi's. The men's fashion was just plain sexy. Even shooting on the range was an opportunity to dress nicely. It's basically like Indiana Jones before that was cool.

I wonder if the head honcho and I can work something out where I can live eternally in black-and-white flicks?

ok enough for tonight, let's turn it over the jimmy Buffett

Well now they're making movies
in old black-and-white
with happy endings
where nobody fights.
So if you find yourself in that nostalgic rage
honey jump right up,
and show your age

Well I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
the Boston Blackey kind
A two-tone Ricky Ricardo jacket
and an autographed picture of Andy Devine

Oh I could be anyone I wanted to be
maybe suave Errol Flynn of the Sheikh of Araby
If I only had a pencil thin mustache
Then I could do some cruisin too... -Jimmy Buffet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home