Saturday, August 20, 2005

Mythos and Biblical Theology

I've decided that I'm not a child of the Enlightenment. The more I study it, the more I think it shipwrecked us spiritually. I have noticed that I have begun to title my way of understanding scripture as 'consciously pre-critical'.

God's tales are my life's delight. I think that if I believed them all literally it would actually hurt my spiritual depth.

So spotty today... not like me. I dunno, can't seem to think straight or apply myself to anything over 2 minutes.

4 Comments:

Blogger existentialist said...

I like this post Wise Serpent. Can you tell us a little more about the Enlightenment? You are one of the few Orthodox blogs I subscribe to by the way. I like your style, but I told you that before. Keep your strength up! And thanks for posting.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Chris P. said...

Unfortunately anyone who adheres to scriptural authority, inerrancy, and infallibility, is labeled a child of the enlightenment, by the more enlightened post-modern world.
(sigh)

10:13 AM  
Blogger Roland said...

post modern? me? if anything pre I'd say.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Roland said...

... and scriptural authority is not in question here. Not with me anyway. Inerrancy/infallibility, in a certain sense, is also not at stake. Literalism is certainly at odds with my belief. Scripture is history filtered through the lens of belief. No problem with that, but it gives the literal facts a certain mythological slant.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home