Thursday, August 04, 2005

A death

A friend of mine has passed away. Suffered a heart attack while attending a Bar meeting in Chicago (he was a Law School Dean - brilliant guy). There is a lot to this. He was homosexual, which would get him looked down upon in many circles, but he was also a brilliant Law professor, a good friend of President Clinton's, and someone who helped me out with an open home and open heart in a couple of awkward situations (like when I had a lease run out two week before my next lease started). It's odd his heart attack, he wasn't very old (late 50's), and was a borderline health freak - grew all his own vegetables, didn't eat meat, etc. He was also an MDiv grad from Yale Div school, so we had many excellent conversations on God and faith. He had a very deep spiritual sense, but I always got the impression it was in an active searcher kind of way. Overall he was one of those people who was just so kind and sincere that the world was a little better off wherever he was. Don't think he had a greedy or mean bone in his body.

Interestingly, I'd been thinking about him a lot recently. It seems to happen that way when something big is about to happen. He and his partner were supposed to come down and grill out at the pool with us. He'd lent me a book and I just received the copy of the book I was going to give him. Ugh.. what a depressing matter.

That's all I can write until more details become available. May his memory be eternal.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to learn of the death of your friend. If he was a searcher, God grant that your friend has found what he desired. I am touched by your sense of compassion and care for him.
Indeed, memory eternal!
John

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences, Ray.
Memory eternal.
RIP.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home