Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The moon will whoop you!

Ok, sometimes I pay a little too much attention to the wording of the psalmnody, prefering to try and exegete as I chant along rather than just letting it wash over me. Today after Typika I had a particularly special treat for my efforts. Check out the lyrics to Psalm 121 verse 6:

"The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night."

Now the sun, on occasion, is a little intimidating, but I guess I never really thought of the moon whipping up on me. It is a little scary though. I can see it. You blaspheme a little... one too many idols.. maybe mix some meat and cheese on the same platter and over walks the moon on Yahweh's behalf to give you a once over. Lunar beatdown.

Speaking of which, this all raises a neat canonical question: Does the moon count as "barbarian lands"? It's important if we ever set up colonies. Is the Ecumenical Patriarchate over it? Moscow? Is there a self-ruling, autonomous Lunar Patriarchate?

That's plain sweet. the Lunar Patriarchate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home